Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!

As I’ve begun every unfinished attempt at my blog entries, sorry that the updates on life as a PCV have been sparse at best. No excuses, but I feel like my skype transcripts could really be turned into a novel by this point in time! Anyway, let’s begin on a small scale, how about my day today? Well for beginners, we have SNOW. Not just a little bit of snow, but inches and maybe even into the feet by this point! I woke up yesterday morning to see the whole world outside my window blanketed in white, and it hasn’t stopped snowing for two days! This means some interesting things in Moldova. In a land without snow plows or from what I’ve seen, even shovels, this makes the morning commute interesting to say the least! I am thanking God that I moved into my new apartment across the street from my school, as this is about all the walking through snow up to my knees I can handle! Anyway, I was glad that I did brave the blizzard because the past two days have been pretty magical. When I first got to school on Tuesday morning, you could tell that the kids spirits were high, and this feeling has stuck with us through the week. I’ve been told that Cimislia hasn’t seen snow like this for a few years, so I am feeling pretty lucky to have the first snow of the season be such a beautiful one. Yesterday my seventh form stood up to greet me like they normally do, and after their choral response of “I’m fine thank you and you?” I didn’t even have the opportunity to say “I’m fine too” before they were begging us to go outside and play in the snow. Who am I to deny a special opportunity like this! Little did I know that I was going to be getting my butt kicked by a bunch of 12 year olds in a snowball fight! All in good fun, I was after all aiming for their faces! There’s nothing like making a fool of yourself in front of kids to put yourself on the same level as them. Well, thank God that opportunity presents itself to me almost everyday! Yesterday was when I attempted to follow the kids lead in sliding across the parking lot and ended up on my back in a skirt in front of half of the school! Today, when I threw all my pride out the window and put on a santa claus suit in front of my students! My partner teacher and I decided over a glass of wine or three that it would be a great idea for me to lead our English club Christmas celebration dressed as the fat man himself. I think the kids got a kick out of it, which is all that matters right? It’s all about the children! On that note, I’m going to cut this entry short and actually post it for once rather than wait to make it sound great and perfect and never post it like all the others. So, sorry if the first edition of Peace Corps Moldova through the eyes of Miss Erin is a bit dull or lacking, but I am TIRED and have to get up early to write lesson plans and make Christmas trees out of colored paper. So, hi noapte buna until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment