Friday, March 27, 2009

Things I need to get for my trip!

It's funny to think how people change and develop over the years. As a teen and in my early 20's I LOVED to shop. I don't think I could ever have had too many clothes and shoes and as my mothers daughter I could never resist a bargain! Well, now at 27 years old I get my thrills in different ways. But I can't lie, there is one purchase that I am just dying to make.....books! My amazon shopping cart has reached well over 300$! I am going to be swimming in books! As I am only alloted 100 lbs of luggage to last me for the next 27 months, I think I might need to narrow this list down!

Here is what I have so far:

  • From the center of the earth: Stories out of the Peace Corps, by Geraldine Kennedy
  • Sarge: The Life and Times of Sargent Shriver, by Scott Stossel
  • The Bold Experiment: JFK's Peace Corps, by Gerard T. Rice
  • All you need is love: The Peace Corps and the spirit on the 1960's, by Elizabeth Cobbs Hoffman
  • Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, by Jack Weatherford
  • We wait for you: Unheard voices from Post-Communist Romania, by Annabell Townson
  • The new Russians, by Hedrick Smith
  • Moldova: A Romanian province under Russian Rule: Diplomatic history from the archives of the great powers, by Marcel Mitrasca
  • The Moldovans: Romania, Russia, and the politics of culture, by Charles King
  • Balkan Ghosts: A journey through history, by Robert Kaplan
  • The ugly American, by Eugene Burdick
  • The village of waiting, by George Packer
Here are a few other things I have thought to purchase as of today
  • A swiss army knife
  • gortex rain coat
  • Winter hiking boots
  • hiking sandals
  • games/crossword puzzles/sudoku/scrabble/chess/cards
  • eletronics converter
  • gifts for my host families, traditional "American" things
  • A scrap book of all my family and friends
  • Maps/posters/other things to spice up the classroom
  • Grammar book
  • Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
  • Anthology of modern American literature and short stories
  • School supplies!

Looks like I've got some shopping to do! Hopefully I can channel the spirit of whatever part of me used to love to shop and get a kick out of buying all this stuff! Let me know if you know of any good deals!

No comments:

Post a Comment